Having Difficult Conversations Course
Difficult Conversations Program
As a leader, having difficult conversations is a task that many of us would like to avoid. In fact, some studies have shown that up to 53% of employees are handling toxic situations by avoiding them. This avoidance strategy comes down to a lack of confidence and skills to deal with these challenging situations.
This course explores how to effectively prepare for and conduct difficult conversations in the workplace. It provides participants with a set of simple skills to improve their ability to deal with difficult conversations in a confident and constructive way. Participants will understand how to identify the causes of conflict, move away from frustration, and devise strategies to maintain positive outcomes wherever possible.
Participants will learn:
- Preparing for and approaching difficult conversations with more confidence
- To be more self-aware of their emotions and how to regulate them under pressure
- To understand that the aim is a ‘win-win’
- Effective questioning and reasoning skills
- Understanding empathy and learning to see things from another person perspective without prejudice
- Why do people avoid having difficult conversations
- The importance of having the conversation
- Defining the problem
- Planning for success
- Different perspectives
- Do’s and don’ts
Having the conversation
- Two-way communication
- What can “we” do to solve this?
- Intent versus impact
- Managing emotions
- CEDAR Model
- Dealing with difficult behaviours
After the conversation
- Follow up & Documenting
Program Delivery Options
We will work with you to identify the best delivery option for your organisation. Typically, this is run as a full day or half day face to face program.
- Diagnostic Tool – Communication Styles
- Difficult Conversations eLearning
- This course will be customised to include your organisation’s policies, procedures, and requirements
- Workplace application strategies will be discussed during the customisation meeting
- Customisation is included in the program cost
Contact us to find out how we can customise this program to suit your organisation.